in or around Stratton
Stratton Church, Cornwall
Stratton is an ancient market town believed to have been established in Roman times. Today it is a fine town of Georgian houses and thatched cottages, a pleasant place to live, tucked away from its coastal neighbour, Bude and popular with visitors with an interest in the Civil War period of the 17th century.
For holiday accommodation in and around Stratton see Stratton accommodation listings or for accommodation throughout Cornwall visit our Cornwall Accommodation.
Stratton in History
Earliest documented references of Stratton are cited from King Alfred’s Will of 880 AD and in the Domesday Survey of 1086.
Famous for its involvement in the Civil War when it was a stronghold of the Royalists. The Tree Inn was the headquarters of Sir Bevil Grenville.
In 1643 the Battle of Stamford Hill was fought near here with Sir Bevil and his troops being victorious over the Parliamentarian forces. The fallen of both sides are buried in Stratton churchyard in unmarked graves.
Stratton Parish Church
Church dedicated to Saint Andrew stands in an elevated position in the centre of the town. It is a Grade I Listed Building. The church contains a brass to Sir John Arundell of Trerice, 1561.
Famous People Born in Stratton
Anthony Payne was born at the Manor House, now known as the Tree Inn in 1611. At over 7 feet tall, he gained the title of the Cornish Giant. His portrait can be seen at The Tree Inn and the Royal Cornwall Museum in Truro (Kneller 1680). He was the bodyguard of Sir Bevil Grenville. When Sir Bevil was killed at the Battle of Lansdown Hill near Bath in Somerset, it was Anthony Payne who carried his master's body to Stratton after first aiding Sir Bevil's son in defeating the Parliamentarians.
From the Restoration in 1660, Payne became Halbadier of the Guns at Plymouth after being appointed to the position by the King. After retiring, the Cornish Giant lived out his last years at the Grenville manor until his death in 1691.
Such was his stature, the building had to be modified to allow access for his coffin.
Stratton is today combined with Bude to form the Parish of Bude - Stratton.
Stratton was until the 19th century was the name of the parish which contained Bude Haven.
Stratton in the distant past gave its name to the Hundred of Stratton, an ancient designation of land made by the Saxons.
The name is variously thought to derive from the Cornish words 'stras' + unknown river name in its earliest derivation and after as 'straet' and 'tun', English words meaning 'village on a Roman road'.
Do you have information of a historic or community interest about Stratton which you would like featured on this page please email us with your information.
Click here to buy books online about Stratton
Find all the Dog Friendly beaches in Cornwall
Businesses in or around Stratton
Places of interest in or around StrattonTowns, villages and other locations
Cornish phrases and place names
Topical phrases of the month December: 'Christmas Cards'
Place Name of the Month December: Porth