Morvah Parish Church
Morvah Parish Church




History of Morvah


Morvah in History

There is a holy well at Tregaminion Farm but it is covered by a modern concrete pump house. The ruins of the well chapel, stand near the intersection of a public bridleway from Morvah and the coast path.

There are many features of archaeological interest within Morvah parish including:
Bosullow Trehyllys courtyard house settlement, a village dating from the Iron Age and early Romano-British Dark Age period over 2000 years ago, which comprises of a number of round houses and at least three courtyard houses; the Men-an-Tol holed stone which is believed to be from the Bronze Age; Men Scryfa inscribed stone, nearly 2m in height with the inscription Rialobran Cvnoval fil (Rialobran, son of Cunoval)and probably dating from the 6th century (500AD); Chun Castle and Chun Quoit.

Morvah was a busy mining area during the 19th century with numerous mines working within the parish including Morvah Hill Mine, Morvah Consols which in 1873, sold 6 tons of black tin and the Morvah Zennor Mines which between them sold 195 tons of black tin between 1837 and 1839.



Morvah extract from Magna Britannia Vol 3 Cornwall by Daniel Lysons 1814

Morvah, in the deanery and in the west division of the hundred of Penwith, lies about seven miles west-south-west from St. Ives, and about six north-west from Penzance, which is the post-office town. The principal village in this parish is Tregaminian.

The manor of Carvolghe or Carvaghe, in the parishes of Morvah and St. Ives, was formerly in the family of Tregian: it was seized by the Crown on the attainder of Francis Tregian, granted to Cary Lord Hunsdon, repurchased by Tregian, and sold to Grosse: we cannot learn who is the proprietor of this estate. The barton of Tregaminian, which was, for several generations, in the Lanyons, and the seat of a younger branch of that family, was purchased, in the reign of Queen Anne, by John Borlase, Esq., of Pendeen: it is now a farmhouse, the property of the son of a descendant, of the same name.

Morvah, although a separate parish, is a daughter-church to Madron, and included in the same presentation. There are the remains of an ancient chapel at Tregaminian, and a well called the chapel-well.

 

 

Books online:
Click here to buy books online about Morvah

 









 

Road directions to
Morvah

 

Using public transport
to and around Cornwall.

Plan your journeys
Buses, trains, ferries and more

 

OCTOBER
EVENTS in CORNWALL
- click here -

 

Firework Displays in Cornwall 2019
Fireworks
in Cornwall

 

Towns and villages in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly

Towns and villages in Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly

 

Travel to Cornwall

Travelling to and around Cornwall by Air, Train, Car, Coach or Ferry

 



Find accommodation in Cornwall

Cornwall holiday accommodation directory search for hotels, holiday cottages, B&Bs, camp sites, self catering.


   Extra Options

 

Online advertising in Cornwall. Low cost high quality internet advertising for your accommodation or business

 

The above code is the QR Code for this page

 

© AWMP Creative Media, all rights reserved, modifications by Choughmountain Design